Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag has announced that around 32,000 people have been arrested as part of the investigation into the failed coup of July 15, while hinting at the possibility that new courtrooms might be built in some places based on necessity.
“There are around 32,000 arrests. The process is still continuing. As there might be new arrests within the scope of evidence, information and findings in the investigation during this process, there might also be those among the arrested who will be released on probation or released directly. The number may increase and decrease since this is a dynamic process,” Bozdag said in an interview with NTV on September 28.
Legal proceedings have been launched against a total of 70,000 people as part of the probe, he said.
The minister also stated that there were shortcomings in terms of courtrooms in some places, signalling that new ones would be built if required.
Bozdag also added that more than 1,500 guardians with suspected links to the Fethullahist Terror Organization (FETO) had been suspended from their duties so far.
On Friday, Turkish daily ‘Hurriyet’ reported that Turkey’s government is expected to extend the state of emergency it implemented in the aftermath of the July 15 coup attempt after the country’s security council called for its prolongation in a move that received President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s enthusiastic backing.
Meanwhile, Turkish daily ‘Sozcu’ reports that twelve more television channels have been closed down in Turkey
Among the channels that were closed down are Hayatin Sesi, TV 10, Van TV, Jiyan TV, Azadi TV and Zarog TV’nin.