TRNC Foreign Minister, Ozdil Nami has said: “We do not have any intention or any official plan regarding the opening of the closed city Varosha or returning the city to its former owners”.
His comments come after the South Cyprus government proposed the return of Varosha/Maras, a suburb of Famagusta to its former owners under UN control, in exchange for opening Famagusta port to international trade and unfreezing a number of chapters in Turkey’s EU accession negotiations.
“The Turkish side considers the negotiation process as reaching a comprehensive solution”, Nami continued as: “We think that working in a disciplined way and focusing on a comprehensive solution is necessary. What should be done is to protect the convergences that have come out so far and plan a fast process which is will focus on the rest of the issues,” Nami added.
British High Commissioner Matthew Kidd said yesterday that returning the fenced off part of Famagusta to its lawful inhabitants would be a “wonderful” thing.
“I think it is a big job, it is not something that you could do with a turn of a switch from one day to the next but leading towards this, again as quickly as can happen, will certainly have a remarkable effect on the climate of the negotiations more generally,” Kidd said.
Last Thursday, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirmed that Varosha/Maras was not on the agenda of the Turkish side, and it could only be a part of the ultimate solution of the Cyprus problem.