North Cyprus News | Online News for North Cyprus

Ministry Blocks Access to Lavinium Estate

Ministry Blocks Access to Lavinium Estate

July 03
12:23 2018

Minister of Public Works and Transportation Tolga Atakan said blocking pedestrian access to the Lefkoşa-Girne dual carriage way from the Lavinium housing estate was for the safety of both residents and drivers using that road.

The Highways Department had constructed a fence in front of the estate to prevent pedestrians, especially foreign students from entering the road to catch a bus or hitch-hike to Lefkoşa.

North Cyprus News - Tolga AtakanAtakan said there were several projects underway to enable access from Lavinium to the dual carriage way, which will also contain sections suitable for buses to pick up and drop off passengers. Atakan said the public will be informed on the issue once the project is completed. The minister indicated that the road was not suitable for pedestrians and added that they will be denied access to the road until an alternative project was implemented.

If needed we will get the police involved in the issue as a measure of precaution”, Atakan said, adding that bus services to and from the estate had been put in place to prevent any inconvenience.

Ministry of Public Works and Transportation Press Office