Turkish Cypriot politicians have commented on the decision by the Immovable Property Commission (IPC) for the return of property in Kozanköy (Larnaka tis Lapithou) to the Greek Cypriot owner Nicolas Skourides.
Ersin Tatar, MP for the National Unity Party (UBP), argued that there is no harm in the decision now, but the sensitivities of the people should be taken into consideration. He added that he does not have any objection for Skourides living on the Turkish side, but he is not in favour of thousands of Greek Cypriots to come to the North.
Former Prime Minister Ferdi Soyer, said that the IPC’s decision was very positive, adding that the Turkish Cypriots should not react against this decision, they should show tolerance.
MP for the Socialist Democratic Party (TDP) Huseyin Angolemli, argued that only a few Greek Cypriots would like to come and live in the north. He added: “I don’t believe the young people will come here”.
On the same issue, Turkish Cypriot weekly Cyprus Today published on its front page, the following:
“Villagers in Kozanköy say they will petition to stop an elderly Greek Cypriot building a house on his pre-1974 land, returned to him under a settlement through the IPC – but insist they would oppose the construction, whoever was behind it. Police were called to calm angry scenes last Friday after diggers moved in to start work on 78-year-old Nicolas Skourides’ ‘dream house’, on a near-one-donum plot, where his family’s home once stood. Mr Skourides, a self-confessed former EOKA fighter and patriot, was not present at the time.”
According to the report the village muhtar Hatice Besiktepeli, who came from Paphos to settle in the village said: “The land adjoins a newly built house and also has a dirt road running through it to other properties.
“They put in markers for the construction of a big house that will almost touch the neighbouring house, and it completely takes in the dirt road. This has made the residents angry… the house is being built wrongly, and the authorities are to blame. They don’t regulate constructions”, she said.
Mrs Besiktepeli said that after last Friday’s protest, which resulted in the Lapta municipality officials being called in, the work had been halted because there is no building permit. She added that villagers’ reactions had been wrongly portrayed as anti-Greek Cypriot. “This is not true. It would have been the same had it been a Turkish Cypriot person doing this”, she said.
Lapta mayor Fuat Namsoy has confirmed that construction had been stopped because of the lack of a permit. He said however, that an application had been made and “procedure is being followed”.
Diyalog, Cyprus Today