The gunman wanted for killing 39 people in an attack on an Istanbul nightclub on New Year’s Eve has been detained in the city’s Esenyurt district, sources have confirmed.
Abdulkadir Masharipov, who is accused of killing a total of 39 people and wounding 65 others at the Reina nightclub in Ortaköy on 1st January, went to his home in Istanbul’s Zeytinburnu district after the attack and collected his son before escaping, sources had said earlier.
The attacker was caught as his son was with him.
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş said on Monday, that the mass shooting was the work of a professional, carried out with the involvement of an intelligence organisation.
On Sunday, the police were said to have identified a house in Silivri which had been used by the attacker. He is an Uzbek Islamic State Iraq and Levant (ISIL) militant.
When police raided the address they found 150,000 dollars in the house. They also said the money was the sum to be paid to Masharipov, who was allegedly unable to get hold of the cash because of the intense police hunt.
Update: Abdulkadir Masharipov, has confessed to his crime the Istanbul Governor has stated.
The attacker, was born in Uzbekistan in 1983, Governor Vasip Şahin told a press conference, adding that he was trained as a militant in Afghanistan.
Masharipov likely entered Turkey illegally from an eastern province in January 2016, Şahin said.
He also stated that “it is clear that [Masharipov] staged the attack on behalf of DAESH,” using the Arabic acronym for the jihadist group.
Masharipov had confessed the attack and his fingerprints matched those found at the scene, the governor said.
A total of $197.000 in cash, two guns and two drones were also seized during the operation, Şahin added.