Greek Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades has said that “no one should expect the Greek Cypriot side to participate in talks for a solution which dispute the sovereignty of the Republic of Cyprus.”
Such comments appear to make the likelihood of the Cyprus negotiations starting soon, ever more remote.
Anastasiades made his latest remarks on Sunday when addressing a ceremony to unveil a statue of EOKA fighter Gregoris Afxentiou.
Only five days earlier, he said that the reasons for which the Greek Cypriot side has suspended its participation in the Cyprus talks still exist.
There had been hopes that the UN-led peace talks were set to resume in April or early May after the North Cyprus presidential elections, but that prospect now looks somewhat gloomy.
It had been rumoured that UNSG Special Adviser Espen Barth Eide had hinted that negotiations would re-commence after Turkish Cypriot presidential elections on 19th April.
President Anastasiades walked away from the talks in October 2014 in response to Turkey’s announcing its intention to search for oil and gas in waters where [South] Cyprus had already granted drilling licences to foreign energy companies.