The TRNC Disaster and Emergency Management Committee have issued a safety warning to the public to take particular car during the extreme conditions caused by heavy rainfall, expected to continue until noon on Friday. The public is urged to take the following precautions:
- Park in safer parking areas.
- Take the necessary precautions for the protection of valuable items and documents from damage by possible floods.
- Take measures to prevent the entrance of water into the home and garden.
- Carry items that could be carried by floods, such as water depots and gas tubes, from the garden into a safer location, or secure them. Carry animals into a safe location.
- In the event of floodwater inside the home, do not use any electrical appliances and immediately shut down the power from the mains.
- Do not leave home or enter roads unless absolutely necessary. If you have entered traffic, stay away from mud puddles or large puddles that may put you at risk.
- If you see downed power lines, always treat them as if they are live and dangerous.
- Follow the warnings, guidance and orders of emergency teams in the event of a flood and collaborate accordingly.
For emergency help, call 155 for the Fire Service, 101 for Civil Defence, or 112 for emergency health services.