President Mustafa Akinci has announced that no land mines have been found in 25 out of 28 minefields within coordinates given by Greek Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades on 15th May.
Addressing a press conference on Saturday, President Akinci said that searches had been made by the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) and the Turkish Cypriot security forces.
Akinci said that he had requested the use of UNMAS teams when he met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on June 4.
He noted that the three areas which are suspected of still containing landmines have been fenced off and pose no direct threat to the public.
“No traces of landmines were found in 25 of the 28 reported coordinates. We only have suspicions in 3 areas. The first coordinated is located within a military zone in Gungor. Since there is no civilian access to the location in question, the area does not pose an immediate threat. The second coordinates are located in Alemdag. Part of the plot is private property while the remaining part is accessible to the public. The third area is on the side of the road near Omerli. All three areas have been fenced off and marked, posing no risk at all. Necessary work to screen and if needed clear the plots has begun.” Akinci said.
The President added that there is no longer any need for the public to be concerned about this issue especially that it is now the high season for tourism.
“I would like to thank both the UNMAS teams and the Cyprus Turkish security forces for the work they have carried out. Let everyone be assured that the areas fenced off will be checked and cleared in no time,” Akinci concluded.