Latest Headlines

North condemns attack on five Turkish Cypriot men in Famagusta region

26 June 2016

Five Turkish Cypriot youths have have filed a complaint with Greek Cypriot police after they were attacked by a group of men after a car chase on a rural road towards farmland in Sotira, in South Cyprus.

The five men, aged between 23 and 25, told police they became aware of a red pickup truck following them around 4:30am on Friday after they were returning from a night out in Agia Napa, and that they accelerated towards Frenaros in order to get away.

The pickup truck managed to cut them off near Avgorou and three men jumped out of the car holding clubs, causing damages to the car with Turkish Cypriot license plates (shown above) and injuring two of them.

The young men managed to escape and notified police.

Two of them were taken to Famagusta State hospital and released on the same day.

The President’s office which issued a written statement condemning the incident, demanded that the Greek Cypriot officials catch those responsible as soon as possible and to bring them to justice.

The statement said that the incident and the legal process launched had been followed closely by the Turkish Cypriot members of the Bi-communal Technical Committee for Crime and the Prevention of Crime from the early hours of the morning.

It said that the Turkish Cypriot side will continue to pursue the matter until the attackers are caught and tried.

Pointing out that such incidents seriously harmed relations between the two communities, the statement read “the material compensation of our citizens is not enough on its own. The attackers must be caught and tried. It is the responsibility of the Greek Cypriot Administration to ensure that similar attacks are prevented in the future”.

Turkey Star

By