Latest Headlines

Accept TRNC proposals or end joint statement process: Eroglu

7 November 2013

President Dervis Eroglu has said that the Turkish Cypriot side had submitted its latest proposals to the Greek Cypriots on Monday through the United Nations and added that should this proposal not be accepted, the “exercise for a joint statement“, which has been in process for almost two months, must end.

In a written statement issued prior to President Eroglu’s meeting on Wednesday with UN special advisor on Cyprus, Alexander Downer, he said that this was a critical week for the solution of the Cyprus problem. Eroglu said he agreed with Ban Ki-moon’s message that the negotiations must resume from the point where they had been left.

Asserting that the Greek Cypriot side had turned the issue of the joint statement into a precondition for the commencement of the negotiations, Eroglu claimed that the Turkish side had submitted “many constructive and reconciliatory proposals” in order for a joint statement to be formulated. He noted:

“We conveyed yesterday to the Greek Cypriot side through the UN our latest proposal in this direction. In case this is not accepted the exercise for a joint statement, which has been continuing for almost two months, must end. At the point we have come, we do not want to waste time. This is a test of sincerity. I want to once more make a call on the Greek Cypriot leader. Let us come to the table and continue the negotiations from the point they were left, making use of this opportunity in the days during which Mr Downer is on the island. For this reason, I have postponed my planned visit to London. The Turkish Cypriot side is ready to sit at the table immediately and it is sincere on the issue of finding a solution the soonest, in the first quarter of 2014”

By