CyProb News & Updates » Latest Headlines

Anastasiades blames Akinci for collapse of talks

23 November 2016

Despite the collapse of the Cyprus negotiations at Mont Pèlerin this week over the issue of territory, President Anastasiades has said that he is ready to carry on negotiating with President Akinci.

In a televised address on Wednesday evening, Anastasiades said that Turkey needed to demonstrate its will to achieve a solution to the Cyprus problem.

Providing there were no changes made to all details agreed so far, Anastasiades said he was ready to return to the negotiating table.

According to Anastasiades, the two leaders had agreed that the proportion of the Turkish Cypriot constituent state after a settlement, would be between 28.2% and 292% when the first round of talks in Mont Pèlerin concluded on Friday 11th November. They had also agreed on the number of refugees that could return to areas under Greek Cypriot control. United Nations experts had put this number between 78,000 and 94,000.

However, during the second round of talks at Mont Pèlerin, Akinci changed his position and had reduced the maximum number of potentially returning refugees to 55,000, while later in a gesture of goodwill, he increased that figure to 65,000.

Critically, President Akinci omitted areas important to the Greek Cypriot side, such as Morphou/Guzelyurt, which brought about the eventual failure of the negotiations, President Anastasiades said.

He said that it was clear that the Turkish Cypriot side was attempting to link the territorial issue with that of security and guarantees, something unacceptable to the Greek Cypriot side.

Anastasiades had a series of telephone calls with US Vice President, Joe Biden, the presidents of the European Council, European Commission and European Parliament and at around 10.00 was scheduled to talk with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

Cyprus Weekly

By